Re: shmat error when trying to attach sga

From: Dave Wotton <Dave.Wotton_at_no-spam.it.camcnty.gov.uk>
Date: 1998/11/18

Imel Rautenbach <imel_at_africa.com> wrote:
>I get this when running sqlplus on hp-ux on Oracle 7.3.3 as a user not in
>the dba group.
>
>I presume i need to change rights for all users to access the database.
>
>Please help.

Hi,

The most likely cause of your problem is that your oracle executable in $ORACLE_HOME/bin is not setuid to the oracle owner id.

If you do an ipcs -m command, you should see something like ...

IPC status from <running system> as of Wed Nov 18 15:37:07 1998 T ID KEY MODE OWNER GROUP Shared Memory:

m   3900 0x08444384 --rw-r-----   oracle      dba
m   3201 0x089c8fcc --rw-r-----   oracle      dba

ie. the shared memory used by the database is owned by the oracle userid with r/w access only to that id, therefore any process which tries to access the shared memory must be running under the effective userid of oracle

If you do an ls -l $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle, you should get

-rwsr-s--x 1 oracle dba 10931212 Sep 1 1997 oracle

If you've got -rwxr-x--x instead, then your executable is not setuid to oracle, so when your sqlplus users execute it, they're trying to access the shared memory under their own id.

To make the executable setuid to oracle, issue the command chmod 6751 $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle. Then all your users will be able to execute sqlplus without being in the dba group.

HTH, Dave.

--
Remove the no-spam bit from my email address to reply.