Re: Access97 to Oracle/Sybase

From: Ray Porter <lrp_at_email.ais.unc.edu>
Date: 1998/11/18

This should be fairly straight forward. Define your tables in Sybase to match the tables in Access. Install odbc and setup your datasource. In Access 97 link in your Sybase tables via the odbc datasource you've just setup. Once that is done, you can essentially treat your Sybase tables just like MS Access tables. Just use QBE to create an update query and insert records from your Access tables into the corresponding Sybase tables.

On Tue, 10 Nov 1998 08:48:39 -0500, CJ Jouhal <cj.jouhal_at_lmco.com> wrote:

>Since Access97 is easier to use, a few people in my company
>created databases in Access. Now wanting to have
>the data available via intranet they want to have
>the db accessible. I know and heard all the horror
>stories of Access 97's performance issue regarding this.
>
>Bottom line:
>Is there any way to export the databases from Access97
>to an Oracle or Sybase (via odbc or something)
>
>Pardon my ignorance on exporting of databases in Access 97
>but it would really make my life easier if I could.
>
>Also after exporting, will there be any problems or can
>I just move it onto the appropriate server.
>
>Thanx in advance,
>--
>CJ
>Chiranjiv Jouhal (CJ)
>Lockheed Martin Global TeleCommunications

Ray Porter
Applications Analyst Programmer
Administrative Information Services
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Phone: 919-966-5878
Home Page: http://www.unc.edu/~dragon/

"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup." Received on Wed Nov 18 1998 - 00:00:00 CST