Re: Cascade Deletes

From: Robin Quasebarth <robinq_at_data-point.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 07:38:10 +0000

In theory it would be a clean way to go if one never made mistakes. But let's say you have a COMPANY TYPE CODE of S for Supplier. Then 10 years later you decide you don't want S anymore because you are going to have a V for Vendor. If someone is not thinking clearly that day and DELETE CASCADE the S code then all the Companies with S would be deleted and all of the Company's children, grandchildren and so forth. That means any products or transactions, contracts, etc would be removed and heaven forbid if someone did a commit before realizing what they just dumped. So, I think if you are SURE that you and your staff with delete privs are super-human then cascade deletes would be cool.