Re: Cascade Deletes

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 13:35:46 GMT

A copy of this was sent to "Manoj Goel" <mgoel_at_jps.net> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Tue, 17 Nov 1998 21:18:47 -0800, you wrote:

>hi Guys,
>
> I have been asked to not to use cascade deletes in our app which is
>running on
> oracle 7.3 . But I thought that if it is an option provided by the RDBMS
>then why
> not use it ?
>
> What could be disadvantages??
>
> Please help me understand it.

we would have to first understand the motivation of the individual making the rule to not use database features. They might like 'explicit' code and want the apps to delete all children programatically before deleting the parent. ON DELETE CASCADE would allow a single record delete to silenty delete many other records without the application knowing about it, they just might not like that idea.

> Thanks
>
> Manoj

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Herndon VA

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Wed Nov 18 1998 - 07:35:46 CST