Re: Triggers and replication

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 13:33:48 GMT

A copy of this was sent to "Manoj Goel" <mgoel_at_jps.net> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Tue, 17 Nov 1998 21:15:55 -0800, you wrote:

>Hi Guys,
>
> We are using Oracle 7.3 and have been asked not to use triggers
> as it will not allow us to replicate the data.
>
> Is it really true?

Absolutely not -- you may use triggers (and anything else) on tables being replicated. One of the reasons we have "multiple same type triggers -- eg: you have have more then 1 "AFTER INSERT for each row" trigger -- is to explicitly support user defined triggers on replicated tables that won't conflict with the triggers we write in support of replication.

You are not supposed to put triggers on READ ONLY SNAPSHOTs (on the copied, read only data) as that trigger may cause problems with the replication process.

>Please let me know if that is really the case.
>
> Thanks
>
> Manoj

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Herndon VA

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Wed Nov 18 1998 - 07:33:48 CST