Re: How to have 24hrs , 7 days a week kind of database environment.

From: tony <ramdan_at_mailexcite.com>
Date: 17 Nov 1998 09:59:01 -0600

You need to define what 24X7 really means to you. People say it without qualifiying what they exaclty want. To some it means that it is up 95% to others it means 99% to others it means that no downtime will be tolerated even over a period of several years.

If you want true 24X7, meaning no downtimes are premitted at all, you will mostly likely be at Unix solution rather than NT. Our NT boxes have to be routinely rebootted. For many applications, having to do that once a month or even once a week is not problem. For others it is not. We have a system that requires absolute 24X7, and we found that Unix was just not good enough, we went with a mainframe system, with two mainframes at separte geographic locations mirroring each other down to CPU instructions and registers. They are totally hot-swappable (we can even switch out ram modules AND CPUs, or updagrade OS without having to restart). A similar system we have has been down only two times for a total of 15 minutes over the last 8 years.

You need to hire an Oacle consualtnt with specific experience in failsafe systems. And depeneding on how strict the 24X7 requirement is you may find that Oracle may not be able to provide the necessary up time. Tandem for example has a database system that combined with their hardware givens you much higher uptime than Oracle can provide.

Another consideration is the stablilty of your datacenter. How will protected is it against weather and power problems. Does it have long term onsite power generation(disel engines) in case of prolonged power problems in the area? Is there 24hr staff present on site to handle problems the second they come up?