Re: [Microsoft][ODBC driver for Oracle][Oracle]ORA-01843: not a valid month

From: Alexander Bisset <a-bisset_at_aberdeen-harbour.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 09:22:09 -0000

Since you say from ASP I assume you are using Microsoft IIS web server. The problem then is that the web server machine must have the regional settings set correctly.

You have used a format of dd.mm.yy hh.nn.ss which needs to be the setting on the web server regional settings. By default it is in American format and so month comes first so it is assuming month 16 and Oracle is rejecting this. In SQL*Plus (which you may well be running from your client) probably has the correct NLS settings for your country and so gives the correct results.

BTW I would VERY STRONGLY suggest that you do NOT use a 2 digit year format, to be this close to the year 2000 and still be writing new code with only 2 digit years is asking for problems especially since software this new is easily capable of understanding 4 digit years with no problems.

Gero Heinze wrote in message <3650782F.F545BDAB_at_danet-consult.de>...

>I've got a problem accessing ORACLE8 via an MS ODBC-driver from ASP.
>What I want to do is just to insert a timestamp in a field, that format is
DATE.