Oracle VS MS SQL

From: Christian Sander Rosnes <christian.rosnes_at_link.nolink.no>
Date: 16 Nov 1998 15:29:59 GMT

Hello!

Our dept. is looking for a database solution for storage and retrieval of statistical and service related data for our telephone services.

The choice is narrowed down to MS SQL or Oracle. I'm looking for comparisions between these two products; Hands-on experience is welcome.

Plattform will be a PC (w/Raid) running Windows NT or Linux. (The latter rules out MS SQL, of course).

The database should handle at least 2 GB of data. Performance must be high, because telephone applications will use the database for "real-time" information- retrieval.
(We might have as many as 400 callers querying the database for unique records at same time. Search parameters will be indexed fields).

Stability is also crucial. Our services are running 24 hrs a day, 365 days a year.

The database server should also be accessible from the web, via perl scripts.

MS SQL looks like the least expensive solution, but I'm a little worried with regards to performance and stability.

I'm looking for comparisons regarding stability, performance and price.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks.

--
# Christian Sander Rosnes
# (To reply remove 'nolink' from email address) Received on Mon Nov 16 1998 - 09:29:59 CST