Re: Slow deleting records

From: Dennis Groenendijk <dgroenen_at_#damnspam#xs4all.nl>
Date: 1998/11/15

On 13 Nov 1998 17:46:35 GMT, ciesnik_at_ucsub.Colorado.EDU (David Ciesnik) wrote:

>I would suggest temporarily removing any indexes on the table. Do
>whatever operations you need to do. Then reinstate the index afterwards.
>It will save you a lot of time. Same for the triggers. Triggers will
>execute on every execution. So they would add to the delay when
>performing an operation on 15000 records. Remove them, do what you need
>to do with the table(s), then put them back when you're done.

I agree with most of the advice given on the subject. But don't go so far as dropping your index. You have to recreate the index afterwards to keep performance up on normal operations. The best way to by-pass you index is using a hint: say:
DELETE table_name /*+ FULL(table_name) */ WHERE .... The hint must commented out and the +sign must not be seperated from /* to work. This will bypass any index on the table.

You still have to disable any triggers that might be active.

Dennis.. Received on Sun Nov 15 1998 - 00:00:00 CST