Re: Oracle8 vs Enterprise

From: Robert Prell <RPrell_at_PacBell.Net>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 19:20:33 GMT

In my opinion there is a lot of hype coming from both camps but the main differences are Oracle handles contentions between records better. For example if one person wants to in effect check out a record for exclusive use. Oracle handles this and MS does not. Overhead per connection on the server side is less with oracle. As for parallel being mentioned multiple times in the features. What is basically ment by this is Oracle can have for example 4 servers tied together to a common hard disk package. The 4 of them work off a common queue processing requests. If 4 of them are working at 25% load and two fail the others will pick up the load and be working at 50%. Microsoft has fail over technology. When a single server working at 100% fails, a backup can take over. But the backup is doing nothing until the primary fails! These are the main differences I have found between the two. Microsoft also hits a wall that causes it to slow down significantly when your hit certain levels of usage. This number depends on your application, between 100 and 1000 users depending on utilization. Microsoft is easier to administer, so if you don't have 100+ users, and plan to use a single server and don't have record contention problems it is cheaper and easier! Thus the main difference is Oracle is better for big stuff and Microsoft is better for little stuff. If you find any other significant differences let me know I am working on evaluating the two on a 300+ user system.