Re: Any Oracle vesion used on only ONE computer???

From: Tuomas Hosia <hosia_at_lut.fi>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 07:05:47 GMT

xiaodipi_at_my-dejanews.com kirjoitteli seuraavaa:

>Is there any Oracle Vesion that I can use on only ONE computer? I mean the
>version I can run it on my personal Computer(Window 95 operating system) at
>home , NOT in the enviroment of network. Thank you so much!!!

Yes, but it requires some kind of trickery because it's not officially supported :) and you must have tcp-ip installed.

I'm using 7.1 server in NT (Should work also in 95), with Sqlnet 1.1 tcp-ip-connection. As client I'm using Sqlnet 1.1 client with tcp-ip and as destination machine the same machine.

Example from listener.ora :

--snipp--

        (ADDRESS=
          (COMMUNITY= TCP.world)
          (Host =my_ip)
          (PROTOCOL= TCP)
          (Port= 1521)
        )
        (ADDRESS=
          (COMMUNITY= TCP.world)
          (Host = my_ip)
          (PROTOCOL= TCP)
          (Port= 1526)

--snipp--

and oracle.ini (16-bit sqlnet-client)

--snipp--
LOCAL=T:my_ip
--snipp--

Newer versions of Oracle (>7.3.3.) have also protocol called beq which allows local connections, all you have to do is configure server to listen that and client to use it. It works on NT, but I haven't tried it on 95.

Tuomas
--

hosia_at_lut.fi(Tuomas Hosia) DoD#1684   \ On paljon hauskempi olla pakanana,
Lappeenranta University of Technology \ ei tarvitse koskaan olla vakavana.