Re: Rollback Segs

From: John P. Higgins <jh33378_at_deere.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 21:51:21 -0600

What is your rollback tablespace size? I will assume 2000K. You can adjust the math for your case.

You are creating 10 segments, initial 50K, next 50K, minextents 2. That will use 10 * (50 + 50) = 1000K, leaving 1000K as freespace.

Then, someday, a large transaction causes segment X to consume all the freespace. It does this by allocating another 20 extents of 50K. Without setting OPTIMAL, segment X will retain
all these extents forever -- you then have 9 segments of 2 extents and 1 segment of 22 extents.

Then, someday later, it is time to run another large transaction. If Oracle picks (by luck) the large
rollback, all will be well. But, if Oracle picks one of the other 9 segments, you will get the
'cannot extend .....' error. That's 9 to 1 against you!

The point of setting OPTIMAL is to cause the big rollback segment to give back the extra extents
to freespace. That way any randomly chosen rollback segment can grow from 2 extents to 22 extents
as needed.

As to the maxextents UNLIMITED: The real limit is the size of the rollback tablespace.
If a super transaction needs to expand to 23 or more extents, the freespace will not exist
and you will get the 'cannot extend .....' error. In this case, I would set the maxextents to 22
to remind me there is no such thing as UNLIMITED.