Re: How do you learn and practice Oracle?

From: George Dau <gedau_at_isa.mim.com.au>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 22:38:53 GMT

Ameen2_at_msn.com wrote:

]I've been told that it would be very expensive for me to buy Oracle software
]for the purpose of learning it at home. Can anyone give me an estimate on
]how much it would cost for me to buy the latest version of Oracle and also
]Linux in order for me to learn it on my home PC?

That depends entirely on what you pay for your internet connection. Oracle 8.0.5 Production release is free (doesn't cost you any money) for Linux, and Linux is also free (doesn't cost you any money and is GPL), but you have to pay for your connection time while you download them. Oracle is 150 Meg compressed, so it takes a while to download.

You can get a Linux CD and a book for about $10, which is probably cheaper and easier than trying to download it. The only way I know of getting the free Oracle is to download it from the Oracle site (unfortunatley).

--

 ,-,_|\   George Dau,                                             __
/    * \  Unix (Solaris, DEC Unix, Linux), Oracle, Internet.     (OO)

MIM Internet policy item 3.4 compliance - "I am clearly stating that any views or opinions expressed above do * NOT * necessarily represent the views or opinions of MIM." Received on Wed Nov 11 1998 - 16:38:53 CST