Re: Visual Basic and Oracle

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 1998/11/10

Jason Coleman wrote in message ...

>If you go ODBC, I've heard even Oracle suggest using the Microsoft Oracle
>ODBC driver, as it is supposed to better then the Oracle ODBC driver...

I agree with that, especially looking at the traffic it generates. You can configure the approx. row cache something or the other size (and thus the IP packet sizes) with MS's Oracle ODBC driver. This can cut network traffic down to at least 50% compared to the Oracle ODBC driver.

But, I had two developers who did some VB development for me a few months ago (I was overruled by management when I wanted to use Delphi..) They had all kinds of problems with the MS Oracle ODBC driver. Real weird stuff. They were using VB 5 Enterprise. They finally changed over to the Oracle ODBC driver instead. <shrugs> But then who cares. Could have done that development in half the time using Delphi...

regards,
Billy Received on Tue Nov 10 1998 - 00:00:00 CST