Huge INSERT and unfriendly ROLLBACK

From: <buzkoff_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: 1998/11/09

I'd like to get some opinions from people about a problem already raised in this group, though, with a dissatisfying answer.

I run a huge INSERT, approx. 500,000 records. The reason I do it is the speed of the operation. If I use PL/SQL with commits after each 10,000 records, as was suggested here, it takes ages.

Now in more than 60% of cases, transactions just hang, doing some "db sequential reads" or giving me the "unable to extend rollback segment" error. My RBS is 140M and if I look at all of the segments they rarely extend 40M.

So what might be the solution?