Problem with selecting/updating rows

From: Dennis R. Leon <dleon_at_rim.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 10:00:46 -0500

I'm having a problem with selecting and updating rows on a table by two concurrent users.
I was wondering if anybody knows a way to prevent a second user from SELECTING the same row that a first user has already selected.

My problem is this:
User one selects a row, validates that row and then updates the status of that row. While User one is doing this, User two goes and selects that same row, validates the row and fails because User one has already updated the status of that row and is no longer valid for my operation.

What I want is this:
User one selects a row and HIDES/LOCKS that row from the next User, validates that row and then updates the status of that row. While User one is doing this, User two selects the next row (not the row User one is working on) and HIDES/LOCKS that row from the next user, validates that row and then updates the status of that row. This will prevent Users interfering with each-other's work.

Your HELP would be greatly appreciated.

Dennis R. Leon

   dleon_at_rim.net

Research In Motion Ltd.