Re: Slow deleting records

From: Steve <steve_at_encite.com>
Date: 1998/11/08

After over 10 years as a dba covering MS-SQL, Sybase, and Oracle I find the latter to be far the slowest at delete operations. You do have to consider you're rollback configuration and make sure its not wrapping excessively etc. You should also be aware that deletes do not reset a tables highwatermark which will effect your disk usage and tablescans greatly.

truncate is near instant but deletes entire table contents NOT sets of data. delete allows you to delete sets of data based on criteria but is a *considerably* slower and performance dependant on disk and rollback configuration etc.