Newbie: What is SQL, Oracle, Access, Powerbuilder?

From: Guy Doucet <gdoucet_at_ait.acl.ca>
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 1998 17:37:59 -0400

I understand that SQL, Oracle, Access and Powerbuilder are database tools.

1 - Are they the only popular ones that most need to know about?

2 - I believe SQL and Access are Microsoft products, what are Oracle and Powerbuilder?

3 - Without being biased, what is the most popular, simplest, and most powerful?

4 - If I'm creating a VB5 app, what do I need to load to use one of those database? I believe Access databases are already recognized by VB.

5 - I was thinking of buying a book to clear a lot of those questions, but then it talks about servers like SQL server and ORACLE server. Access is not a server, it is an application like excel or Word (or so I thought). What makes SQL a server and what makes that different from Access?

Thanks for any and all replies.
Guy Doucet Received on Sun Nov 08 1998 - 15:37:59 CST