Re: Special characteres.

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 1998/11/07

I have bad news for you: apparently you have your database created in the default characterset which is US7ASCII. For most European countries it should be WE8ISO8859P1 (this is the so-called Latin-1 characterset, dos code page 850). You can try to make sure your PC is running the 850 characterset, but most likely the database is the culprit.
Although there are people that fool around with the sys.prop$ table to change the characterset directly, this method is definitely unsupported by Oracle. You need to recreate your database and make sure the characterset is WE8ISO8859P1.

Good Luck,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA