Re: Oracle VMS 7.1 performance

From: cbrf <cbrf_at_mail.nevalink.ru>
Date: 1998/11/06

Mats Weber wrote:

> We recently went from VMS 6.2/Oracle 7.1 to VMS 7.1/Oracle 7.3 on a
> large VMS cluster.
>
> The performance has gone down by a factor two (approximatively).
>
> We are using the Oracle API to insert incoming data into tables, and the
> way Oracle gets the job done seems to have fundamentally changed between
> the two setups:
>
> - On VMS 6.2, the process that called the API was the one doing the
> actual work, and that was done in the VMS supervisor mode.
>
> - On VMS 7.1, an additional process is created to do the actual work
> when the Oracle API is called, and this is done in VMS user mode.
>
> Has anyone else experienced performance drops in a similar upgrade ?
>
> Is it possible to avoid these additional processes ?
>
> Any suggestions ?

  1. if You have not large transactions, You may taste serever in MTS mode. In this case You will have 1 process for n first connected users and this process must be previlleged by oracle - user. n - is parameter , setted in init.ora file (see documentation).
  2. If Your clients is on the server and You must be in dedicated mode, You may to connect to server via SQL-NET. At this case, owner of SQL-NET listener (oracle) must be owner of users processes.

What do you think about this? If this interest for you, and you realy apply this to you problem write me results plees.

Bye.
excuse me for my bad english.
Alex M Stadnichuk
GU CB RF in Sanct - Petersburg Russia Cheef Engenier of OAMBR Department. gucb_at_mail.nevalink.spb.cbr Received on Fri Nov 06 1998 - 00:00:00 CST