sqlload across net 'hangs up'

From: bhewitt <bhewitt_at_[161.55.112.11>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 23:29:59 -0800

Would very much appreciate suggestions or questions about this problem.

The sqlload program has become 'hung-up' at least twice. Both times, it occurred after the Thursday night shutdown of our UNIX system and the restart of the WinNT server where our Oracle database resides. The WinNT server and UNIX system are on the same subnet. The UNIX system is IRIX64 (version 6.2 of UNIX). The Oracle version is 'Oracle7 Server Release 7.3.3.4.0'. The last time this problem occurred, it was resolved by restarting the WinNT server and Oracle. After that restart, no such problem occurred until now (about one week later.) The data file which was being loaded at the time of the problem, can be loaded after the restart with no problem. We had the same experience this time. About twenty sets of files had been loaded successfuly in the two hours preceding the problem. That was more than 12 hours after the Oracle server was restarted.

Sqlload is being run from a perl script (using the "system" function). The connect string (including password) is read from a file. The data files are accessed from sqlload through 'symbolic links' (ie, the 'data=' parameter to sqlload is a 'symbolic link' which points to the actual data file.) The purpose of using a symbolic link is to avoid the need to have data files with names like "haul.dat" (we use names like "haul".)

At the time that sqlload was found to be 'hung-up', there was one (blank) record in the table which was being loaded. It is not certain that the record was loaded by this invocation of sqlload. The sqlload logfile did exist, but was empty. There was no 'rejects' file. The 'netstat' program did not show a network connection from UNIX to the WinNT server for sqlload (as best as we could tell.) The command string used to invoke sqlload looked like:

"sqlload data=$filepath control=$mesgctl parfile=$parfil log=$log bad=$rejects".

That string (after interpolation by perl) is the parameter to the perl 'system' function.

Thanks, Bob Hewitt Received on Fri Nov 06 1998 - 01:29:59 CST