Re: Upgrade 7.3.2 to 7.3.3

From: Alan Way <alanw_at_poservices.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 17:03:22 +1300

speng_at_ncs.com.sg wrote in message <71oqnj$mac$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
>I need to upgrade my oracle server from 7.3.2 to 7.3.3 and i did not done
this
>before. Can anyone provide me the step of what should be done.
>There are 3 environment database in one server, ie, DEV, UAT, TRG
environment.
>How should i upgrade in this case?
>
>Thanks,
>--
>Sok Peng

The Installation guide for your platform will have a chapter on upgrading previous versions. (At least it does in my 7.3 IG)

There are differences depending on whether you upgrade with a new ORACLE_HOME or using the existing. I would suggest using a new home, disk space permitting. Basically you:

.shutdown all databases
.install software to new ORACLE_HOME
.copy init{sid}.ora (and config{sid}.ora) etc to new ORACLE_HOME also copy
control files to new home if necessary
.edit init{sid}.ora and config{sid}.ora, change directory specs pointing at old home
.change environment variables ORACLE_HOME etc to point to new, make changes in the oratab file.
.rerun oracle installer and select Upgrade Database objects. .if you have database data files under the ORACLE_HOME directories you might want to move them.

I've just done this recently. The procedure is painless and remarkably quick. DO make sure you have good backups tho....

Alan Received on Thu Nov 05 1998 - 22:03:22 CST