Re: Help - number conversions

From: Alan D. Mills <alanm_at_uk.europe.mcd.mot.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 16:17:20 -0000

I can't imagine a problem inserting a C int into a NUMBER column unless it declare NUMBER(2) and the int value is too large. I wouldn't expect that particular error though.

I wonder if the problem lies elsewhere. Do you have a WHERE clause (I know it's an insert but you might be doing an INSERT INTO .. SELECT ...) where you are comparing a character column with a numeric constant to pull out all records where char field holds a particular number value. This is where I normally see this particular error. It sometimes transpires that there becomes an implicit TO_NUMBER of the character field for the comparison rather than the 'hoped for' TO_CHAR of the number constant. Because not all the char values are actually numeric, BANG, ORA 1722 Invalid number.

Worth a look.

--
Alan D. Mills