Re: How to have 24hrs , 7 days a week kind of database environment.

From: <Ed.Stevens_at_nmm.nissan-usa.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 1998 13:58:54 GMT

In article <01be0700$9f6d7de0$b8ce2aca_at_mis1-184.yas.com.sg>,   "Sunny Wong" <sunwong_at_yas.com.sg> wrote:
> Greetings,
> This is a first time that our company are deploying a 24hrs , 7 days a week
> kind of database environment.
> Can anyone pls tell me what type of strategies shall I use in order not to
> have any downtime?
> What are the recommended backup strategies?
> Can Oracle running on NT server have this type of reliability?
>
> Thanks.

We are running OWS 7.3 on NT 3.51 and find we need to reboot the server periodicly, so we schedule that to be done every weekend. We don't have any experience yet with Oracle8 and/or NT Server 4.0. If 24x7 is really critical I'd be looking at Unix.

Study up on ARCHIVELOGMODE and hot backukps. --
Ed Stevens
Nissan Motor Mfg. Corp., USA