Re: 7.3.3 install question

From: opus <opus_at_nowhere.ca>
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 1998 08:13:51 -0500

wwlowe_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> Opus - here's what I did:
>
> Oracle 7.3.3 for hpux 10.20...
> as root:
> 0) pfs_mount the cd
> 1) create oracle id, dba group id
> 2) create filesystems, mount points, change permissions to oracle/dba

Did you create all the environment variables as per the install guide for the Oracle user id as well (in his .profile)? They are very important.
If you did, make sure they took effect, do an env or echo $ORACLE_HOME or
something.

> exit out as root - login as oracle 3) ./orainst 4) from the menu/choices -
> Install New Database & pick bunch of things from list 5) answer questions
> about passwords, where to place files, etc... 6) finally done - check log
> file - it's empty...(useless?) exit install login as root 7) run root.sh
> script 8) midway in script - it asks that oracle be stopped, then hit enter
> 9) open another window, ps -ef | grep ora, kill ora processes 10) hit enter -
> root.sh finishes up 11) done

Don't kill Oracle by killing the processes. Enter svrmgrl, connect internal
and do a shutdown immediate. One thing you should know as well, the GUI based
server manager (svrmgrm) won't work from the install likely, it'll core dump.
You'll need some new files from Oracle to get it to work properly. I believe the installer starts the database to do some of the installation.
Why they don't stop it again 'cause they tell you to run root.sh right after
I don't know.

> Since I am new to oracle, I don't quite know what's next, other than to try
> svrgmrl, connect internal, startup (?)
> But I get an error - "cannot open parameter file ...initSID.ora"
> If I try lsnrctl start, I get error: "...incorrectly specified param in
> listener.ora"

The installer should create parameter files for you that you can tweak afterwards. I suspect that you have no environment variables and as such Oracle cannot find the proper locations of the init files.

> I looked in a book and created the 2 /etc files from some example.
> I noticed that /etc/services doesn't have port 1521 listing...is that used for
> listener? or is it only for Multi-Threaded Oracle?

What you put in the /etc directory is probably irrelevent as Oracle won't
look for them there anyway unless you tell it too via the environment or init parameters. 1521 is the default port for the listener, there should
be a listener.ora in your $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin. $ORACLE_HOME is the install directory. I can send you a list of environment variables that I have if you like.