Connecions close/Oracle hangs with JDBC

From: David Schwartz <davidschwartz_at_elucidate.com>
Date: 1998/11/04

I'm using Oracle's JDBC driver (I just downloaded version 8.0.4.0.6 since I had this problem with 8.0.4, but the problem persists), with Oracle 8.0.4 Enterprise Edition on NT.

I have several problems which I believe are related. They don't always occur and occur at various points in my application:

  1. Sometimes when I execute a SQL statement, I get the error message Connection Closed even if the connection was just established and confirmed. What could cause the connection to be lost?
  2. Sometimes Oracle hangs while a statement is being executed. Also, calls to OracleConnection.isClosed() often cause it to hang.

    I saw some similar problems in the Oracle Technology Network, but they were supposed to be fixed by version 8.0.4.0.2.

    Any thoughts would be appreciated.

            Thank you,
                David Schwartz