Best place for application-specific settings?

From: <harrist4_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 1998 17:37:18 GMT

Hi Folks,

I am trying to decide how best to store application-specific settings for my multi-site application.

For example, in a "shopping cart" application, there might be a limit to the number of items a user can place in the cart at a time, set by the administrator.

These settings need to be accessible to stored procedures, so an .ini file won't work.

My first instinct is to make a little table with properties, descriptions, and values to handle these things, that's what I have done in the past, but I don't want to reinvent the wheel.

The PRODUCT_PROFILE and other xxx_PROFILE views seem to be what I am looking for, but Oracle does not document them in any way.

The DBMS_APPLICATION_INFO package would be a nice place to have this sort of functionality, but there doesn't seem to be anything there to do the job.

Is there a "right" place to store this kind of information? Any ideas?
Does anyone have a table-creation script that can produce what I need?

Thanks,

Tad Harrison
Wyeth-Ayerst Research
Princeton, NJ