My $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle is 1MB...is this is a record ? :-)

From: Richard Lloyd <rkl_at_csc.liv.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 16:41:40 GMT

Just completed installed HP-UX 11.0 (32-bits) Oracle 8.0.5 and I managed to get $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle down to just 1MB (instead of 21MB) and memory usage typically 500K per process (rather than 10-11MB). Similar savings on other Oracle binaries too (i.e. anything that can be relinked by the Oracle installer).

How did I do it ? I converted most of the .a files to .sl's (storing them in the same directory), removed the forced archive linking of the oracle binary (edit $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/lib/ins_rdbms.mk and remove "-Wl,-aarchive"), re-ran the Oracle installer, selected "Add/Upgrade products", selected "Yes" to relinking Oracle executables and then re-installed all products. Oh, you can strip the binaries in $ORACLE_HOME/bin without causing a problem (I'd keep a copy of the unstripped binary in case it does fall over).

The savings doing this are phenomenal and the binaries work perfectly OK. So why doesn't Oracle ship a complete or near-complete set of shared libraries, rather than about 6 out of a possible 100 or so ?

BTW, anything I recommend here is strictly unofficial and unsupported - do it at your own risk and only on a test installation !

I have the shell script I used to convert the .a's to .sl's (got to skip some cos they don't convert) - if there's any interest, I'll post it up here. Note that this is strictly for 8.0.5 on HP-UX 11.00 - anything else is "dodgy".

Richard K. Lloyd,           E-mail: rkl_at_csc.liv.ac.uk
Connect,                       WWW: http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~rkl/

3, Brownlow Street,
Liverpool University,
Merseyside, UK. L69 3GL Received on Wed Nov 04 1998 - 10:41:40 CST