Re: 7.3.3 install question

From: opus <opus_at_nowhere.ca>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 1998 11:02:47 -0500

blah wrote:

> I am attempting install of 7.3.3 on hpux but am having problems:
> After running orainst and picking a bunch of things to install -
> I try:
> dbstart, tnsping, lsnrctl start listener - but get errors...
> probably because the 2 files don't exist: /etc/listener.ora,
> /etc/tnsnames.ora
> Do I have to manually create these? I couldn't find a template file
> anywhere...
>
> Thanks,

I take it you are new to Oracle but not Unix. What did you install exactly? Did you create a database? The listener.ora and networking files in general are in the $ORACLE_HOME/netowrk/admin directory and not etc/ You may also wish to change the init parameters, you can do that in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs or $ORACLE_BASE/admin/SID/pfile

You usually don't use dbstart to start up the database unless you are root as well and that's usually called from CRON or something.

Hope that helps, if not, write back here Received on Wed Nov 04 1998 - 10:02:47 CST