Re: SQL*Net Connection

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 15:13:44 +0200

James wrote in message <01be07ee$87c1f9c0$1047ea9e_at_P014635.logica.co.uk>...
>Are there any SQL*Net parameters I can tweak which will speed up connection
>time?

BUGS=OFF
TURBO=ON
;-)

Not as far as I know - SQL*Net is basically an API on top of a protocol stack. The protocol stack needs to be configured optimally (not really possible on either NT or 95/98). Alternatively the clients need to set the SQL*Net packet size to the optimal size (about 1.4Kb). This can be done via the driver with Inprise's BDE driver for Oracle, and Microsoft's Oracle ODBC driver (rowsize parameter or something).

If you're talking about the time it takes to establish the initial connection between client and database, performance is also dependant on the number of drivers/libraries that needs to be loaded by the client at the time of making the connection, and also the speed with which the listener accepts the connection and creates a shadow process (which is operating system dependant).

regards,
Billy Received on Wed Nov 04 1998 - 07:13:44 CST