newbie DBA

From: Death Walker <Keith_A_Mills_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 12:08:11 -0500

I need some *good* reference material for DBA type stuff. Prefer material availiable through regular channels, not RDBMS vendor.

	I am a SA who understands *NIX (Solaris,
	IRIS, AIX, Linux), but want to know more
	of what my DBA is doing... and why!

	Specifically "we" are preparing a new
	installation of Oracle8, and I wish to
	optimise the system and RDBMS for optimal
	performance.  This is something my DBA
	doesn't usually consider (Ah, just add
	more memory if the users complain!).

THNX KAM.

my opinions are mine and do not represent my employer
                         and
                 I have brain damage
                          so

don't take life so seriously, you won't get out alive!