DBMS_OUTPUT in Production

From: Steve <scarrell_at_xmission.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 20:14:11 -0700

Are there any problems with leaving DBMS_OUTPUT statements in a trigger or stored procedure in a production environment?

I used the statements to help debug the trigger and procedure. If I leave the statements in after debugging, does the output go into the bit bucket after each firing of the trigger or does it keep filling a buffer somewhere that eventually overflows?

We have such a situation and it appears that after some use in our production environment, the DBMS hangs. We remove the offending trigger and all runs normally. Everything else in the trigger and stored procedure check out OK. Could DBMS_OUTPUT be the cause?

Thanks,
Steve Carrell
scarrell_at_xmission.com Received on Mon Nov 02 1998 - 21:14:11 CST