Re: DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE doesn't work

From: Roger Jackson <rjackson_at_wire.net.au>
Date: 1998/10/31

Hi Vagelis,

You need to do this first
SQL> set serveroutput on

Note that 'serveroutput' is one word. If serveroutput is not turned on, nothing will be displayed even if you call the DBMS_OUTPUT.ENABLE packaged procedure.

The way DBMS_OUTPUT works is as follows:

In a PL/SQL program, calls to DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE will add lines to the buffer. Nothing is actually displayed until the program executes completely and control is transfered back to SQL*Plus or SQL*DBA. At this point, if serveroutput is on, SQL*Plus or SQL*DBA will make a call to DBMS_OUTPUT.GET_LINES and print the results to the screen.

If your PL/SQL program runs for a long time, you actually have to wait until the program executes and control goes back to SQL*Plus in order to see any information displayed by DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE.

Regards

Roger