Re: OAS4

From: Vadim von Brzeski <vadimv_at_reflexnetworks.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 11:26:40 -0800

Bruno wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using OAS4 on Windows NT with a Oracle8 database installed and I'm using
> JWEB Cartridge.
> I keep getting this java exception on the browser, from calling different
> java classes that access the database:
>
> java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException.
>
> It appears randomly. Some time it does, others it doesn't. Looks like it
> depends on the java class I run first after starting OAS services.
> Some times it appears when I'm logging to the database, others it appears
> when I'm calling a PL\SQL procedure or function (to access PL\SQL through
> java I used the pl2java utility).
>
> I've spent days around this problem but I can't seem to solve it. Any help
> would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bruno.

A fellow OAS 4.0 - pl2java JWeb user ! How many of us are out there ?

We're also using the OAS 4.0 with Oracle 8, except our stuff is all on UNIX.

Anyway, our experience with pl2java and the JWeb cartridge has been that it is very sensitive to array datatypes. I think we may have even gotten this error ourselves once.

If you are passing arrays (e.g. PL/SQL tables) in and out of the db, pl2java will complain unless you define (fix)
a couple of things :
1. how many elements in the array, and
2. how long each of the elements (e.g. a string) in the array is.

PL/SQL tables have given us the most problems in pl2java. I would start there. Hope this helps.

I have one for you also. Have you ever seen this :

I am using Oracle App Server 4.0.6.4 on Solaris 2.6 along with Oracle Server 8.0.4, and I am using PL/SQL and Java cartridges to access the database. Both OAS and Oracle 8 are on the same machine, an Ultra 2, 250 MHz processor, 128 MEG RAM.

All is well until I really start hammering the setup, i.e start requesting multiple web pages, running multiple (15-10) queries. After a while I get a :

OWS-05100 : Cannot connect due to Oracle error -1

from my PL/SQL cartridges,

and from my Java cartridges (which use the pl2java wrapper and Session classes to access stored PL/SQL procedures), I get the classic :

ORA-12154 : cannot resolve service name

although it was connecting and resolving everything just fine up to then ! If I shut the OAS down and re-start, it all works fine until I really pound on it again.

I also noticed that whenever I start a session via my Java (pl2java) cartridges, it start a process on my machine, in the form of : <PID> <username><SID> (LOCAL=NO)

Even though I close and logoff in the my Java code, the processes still show up on my machine (ps -ef command), and they stick around for about 7 minutes before disappearing. During my heavy testing, I may have close to 200 of these things show up - sessions that are supposed to be closed !

Oracle support has so far been ineffective, so any help from the user base would be appreciated !

Thanks

Vadim von Brzeski
Reflex Networks
vadimv_at_reflexnetworks.com Received on Sat Oct 31 1998 - 13:26:40 CST