Re: Help a new DBA

From: <judysemo_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: 1998/10/30

In article <36374C1F.AD47B767_at_iname.com>,   Dennis Chebotarev <tdennis_at_iname.com> wrote:
> Use Oracle Export Utility (EXP73) and export whatever they want.
>
> Dave Rhodes wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > Hope someone can help me. I was on a Oracle training course last week, and
> > now I've been made into DBA (prior to the course, I'd never seen or used
> > Oracle) so I'm a bit bewildered by everything at the moment.
> >
> > I've been asked to create a 'dump' of our database. Can anyone tell me
> > what this means, and more importantly what I need to do.
> >
> > Do I have to use EXP73 and export something, or is this something I do with
> > SVRMGR? (That's all I've managed to find out about so far)
> >
> > I'm using Oracle 7.x (I don't know what version)
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> > Dave

Hi Dave,

   I'm in the same boat that you are, but the folks who were the DBA's did leave me some documentation. Here's what they told me:

  1. Login to the machine where the database is (I telneted) using the DBA username and password.
  2. Then cd to the /apps/oracle/backup directory
  3. type exp to start the export process you will be asked for a username and password, this should be the owner of the database.
  4. accept all defaults except the filename; you should name it according to the date such as mmddyy.backup.dmp
  5. Export everything (defaults again) this will take a few minutes

  Hope it goes as well for you as it did for me.

  Judy Semo
  Virginia Beach, VA