Re: Any experience with Oracle Snapshots?

From: Quinton McCombs <quintonm_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 20:18:30 GMT

Oracle snapshot work quite nicely. I have not been able to determine any impact on the source system created by the snapshot log. The automatic refresh works very reliably as well.

Extract and load scripts would not be as fast as the refresh process. Esecially if using the fast refresh option. Extracting and loading the data will give you the increased overhead of writting the data to disk.

Comparing it to backup and restore of the entire instance... Considerably faster. Again, the fast refreshes will only send the rows which have changed.