Wrapping

From: <tmcguiga_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 16:53:25 GMT

I read in my PL/SQL Programming book that as of Fall 97 nobody has admitted to being able to unwrap a wrapped PACKAGE. Now I've never even wrapped a PACKAGE before, but this raised some questions.

(1) Has it still not been hacked yet?

(2) How secure is wrapping? What algorithm is employed? I know that by
divulging this information the security is reduced, but surely we need to know this!

(3) I assume the PACKAGE specification remains unwrapped? Is my assumption
correct?

(4) Why are we guarenteed (as my book implied) that wrapping is backwards-
compatible but not forwards compatible? It sounds illogical. Surely a later release of Oracle (with respect to wrapXX) can include earlier wrapping algorithms, whereas an earlier release would not nevcessarily know later algorithms?