Default Roles vs Granted Roles

From: Bruce M Krawetz <bmk_at_wdl.lmco.com>
Date: 1998/10/29

Hello

What is the difference between default roles (those done by "ALTER USER") and roles granted to a user (those done by GRANT role TO user)?

Is it a matter of permissions? (i.e. someone can ALTER USER, but cannot GRANT).

Can an ALTER USER ever have WITH ADMIN OPTION?

Can a default role be REVOKED (or can it only be done via another ALTER USER)?

Or is the ALTER USER a legacy command?

enQUERYing mind want to know!

--
We must learn from our mistakes, so we can make bigger and better ones.