Re: Creating Temporary Tables in Oracle

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_ictgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 08:08:06 -0500

Hi,

    When you create a table in an Oracle session it is not visible to any other user, including other sessions for the same user, until a commit is done. If you can avoid doing an implicit commit until you are ready to drop the table (and of course don't do an explicit commit) you will not have a problem.

If a commit is done there is no way of preventing anyone logged in with the same username from finding out the name of the table and, once they know the name, insert, delete, update, or even drop the table as well as select ing from it.

Picture the following scenario. You create a table giving it an esoteric name unknown to your co-workers. Joe the practical joker logs in using the same username and does a:

    SELECT TABLE_NAME FROM USER_TABLES; Joe sees a strange new table and goes exploring ....

regards

Jerry