Re: Creating Temporary Tables in Oracle

From: Alan D. Mills <alanm_at_uk.europe.mcd.mot.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 10:34:18 -0000

I'm not sure you can stop that. If they log in as the same user then they are effectively the same person with the same permissions. I can think of two possible ways around this though.

  1. If the records in the table are all stamped with the session id and all queries use session id to pull data back. That will not stop them seeing the table but will restrict access to your records in that table - at least it will for 'coded' queries. For ad-hoc queries in SQL*plus they'll still be able to see the whole thing.
  2. If the table is created, populated, manipulated and dropped all in the same transaction then, as no commit would have occurred, you will be the only person who will see the records in the table. This might work depending on what you have to do exactly.

Your post also raises the question of why multiple people are using the same login when clearly the responsibilities of these people are not the same. i.e if you should have access to the table and Joe Bloggs shouldn;t then he should really use another user with another role I;d have thought.

--
Alan D. Mills