Re: Oracle problems with # of conncurrent users under NT

From: Barbara Kennedy <barbken_at_teleport.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 05:37:31 GMT

It depends what you are going to have those 20 users do. (and how large a workstation you have). I run Oracle on an NT workstation and (Pentium pro 200 w/128 megs of RAM and (ugh) IDE drives) and have 10 people connect to my database while I do development and other things. I don't notice them using the system and they rarely notice a performance problem when I am working. (except when I reboot my machine!) They are making pretty efficient queries and all select type.
But 20 is not a large number; but then again if it is 20 people doing complex OLAP queries with an undersized and underpowered workstation you could bring anything to it's knees. Fortunately, with Oracle you can put it on a UNIX or larger NT box; some RDBMS's are stuck on one OS. Jim