Re: max # extents

From: Kevin Loney <Kevin.Loney_at_astramerck.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 09:02:48 -0500

Veronique Molinari wrote in message <36361902.2829FE11_at_uno.edu>...
>My application runs on a Personal Oracle 7.3 for Windows 95 database. I
>got an error message indicating that I should expand the rollback_data
>tablespace. After expanding it, I now get the following error message:
>ORA-01562: failed to extend rollback segment number 3
>ORA-01628: max # extents (121) reached for rollback segment RB2
>Can anyone help me solve this problem?

Prior to 7.3, the number of extents a segment can have is governed by the database block size. If the database block size is 2K, you can only have 121 extents in a segment.

As of 7.3, you can have an unlimited number of extents in a segment. In your database, the MAXEXTENTS storage setting for the rollback segment RB2 is set to 121. You can alter the rollback segment: ALTER ROLLBACK SEGMENT RB2 STORAGE (MAXEXTENTS 200); for example.

However, you should keep in mind that the rollback segment extended because your transaction didn't fit in the existing rollback space. You need to re-evaluate the way the rollback segments are configured. If you will be routinely executing large transactions, you'll need to either create larger rollback segments or find a way to force COMMITs to occur periodically so that the transaction size will be minimized.

You can see the current number of extents by querying DBA_SEGMENTS: select segment_name, extents
from dba_segments
where segment_type = 'ROLLBACK';

hth.
Kevin.