Re: Need clarification - Report & SQL

From: Christopher Beck <clbeck_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 14:21:47 GMT

On Tue, 27 Oct 1998 02:04:20 GMT, azhan98_at_tm.net.my wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have 1 question to ask.
>
>I have a report which is previously developed by somebody else.
>Now, I try to do some modification on it.However I found some
>portion of the code that I couldn't understand.
>
>Here is some of it (as an example),
>
> 1) if :p_debug_flag = 'Y'
> then arp_standard.enable_debug; -- I don't understand
>arp_standard.enable_debug
> srw.message('100','Running in debug mode');
> -- and the rest of it
>
> 2) :p_msg_printing_option :=
>ARP_STANDARD.AR_LOOKUP('INVOICE_PRINT_CONTROL',:P_CHOICE);
> -- I don't understand arp_standard.ar_lookup
>
> 3) srw.message('100',arp_standard.fnd_message(arp_standard.md_msg +
>arp_standard.md_msg_number));
> -- I don't understand arp_standard.fnd_message
>
> 4)replace(arp_standard.ar_lookup('INV/CM/ADJ),'','')
>
>I just want to know what object is it.
>The thing that i don't understand is the one that have "arp" on it.
>
> ARP_STANDARD.fnd_message
> ARP_STANDARD.enable_debug
> ARP_STANDARD.ar_lookup
>
>- Seems like ARP_STANDARD is holding procedure/function on it
>(fnd_message,enable_debug,ar_lookup)
>
> ARP_ADDS.territory_short_name
>
> ARP_TRX_SELECT_CONTROL.build_where_clause
>
>- Same thing here.
>
>Is it something 'Oracle Standard' thing or developed by the developer.
>Because, with my few experience in Object Oriented normally when it comes with
>dot(.) it
>means something that belongs to (part of or attribute of).
>
>Actually, I have look through the code (68 pages) and the "ARP" is not a
>variable,procedure, function or table (except for ARP_STANDARD.AR_LOOKUP
>which AR_LOOKUP is a table in Oracle).
>
>Can anybody explain me on this?
>Participation is highly appreciate..Thanks.

Who is the database user you log in as?

If it is ARP_STANDARD then
fnd_message, enable_debug, ar_lookup, ... are all objects ( procedures, tables, function ) owned by the ARP_STANDARD user.

You can list the source code with

select text
  from all_source
 where name = 'FND_MESSAGE'
   and type in ( 'FUNCTION', 'PROCEDURE' )  order by line;

or

ARP_STANDARD is a PL/SQL package with procedures/functions of fnd_message, enable_debug, ar_lookup, ...

From sql*plus you can describe it.
In Oracle7 use

SQL> desc arp_standard.fnd_message
SQL> desc arp_standard.enable_debug
SQL> desc arp_standard.ar_lookup

In Oracle8 use

SQL> desc arp_standard

You can also get the source code of these packages/procedures/functions out of the database

select text
  from all_source
 where name = 'ARP_STANDARD'
   and type = 'PACKAGE'