'MODIFY' HELP

From: K C Grimes <kcgrimes_at_erols.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 15:51:34 -0500

My student textbook sucks....and I'm looking for a simple alter command to increase a table column length.
My table "sample":

 Name               varchar2(20),
 Address            varchar2(30),

Now...I want to increase Name to 30 characters after the table is created. I see the ALTER command in my book, but the syntax for both commands gets an error message.
I am using:
 alter table sample
 MODIFY (Name varchar(30));

and...
 alter table sample
 MODIFY (column Name varchar2(30));

Both commands get errors on line 1. Please gurus...HELP! Thanx in advance, I know this is simple...my book sucks!!!! mailto:kcgrimes_at_erols.com Received on Sun Oct 25 1998 - 14:51:34 CST