Re: DATE field and daylight saving time

From: William Boyle <bboyle_at_netway.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 21:27:51 -0700

j.penney_at_servicepower.com wrote:

> Still thinking about my problem - there is a *small chance* that I may be able
> to persuade Higher Authorities that it would be in everyone's benefit if the
> dates we stored are all in a single, non-DST time zone - so wish me luck!
>
> In the meantime, for anyone who doubts the complexity of time zones and DST,
> have a look at this ;-)
>
> http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/ftp/usr/share/lib/zoneinfo/europe
>
> John

This is always a problem. Our approach was to utilize our own Date+Time fields (really char types) which encode date as 'YYYYMMDD HHMMSSMSSF'. IE: the time terminates with milliseconds and a DST flag. This is fine as long as all the date/time fields are within the same basic timezone. However, since you say that values can be from multiple timezones, this approach won't work. You may want to take the suggestion of adjusting all date/time values to GMT, then output according to current system parameters. If you come up with a "really good" solution, let me know!

-Bill Boyle
bboyle_at_fastech.com or bboyle_at_netway.com Received on Sat Oct 24 1998 - 23:27:51 CDT