Re: Oracle programming?

From: Colm Hoban <colm.hoban_at_respironics.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 06:46:14 -0400

rmch wrote:

> Could someone please enlighten me...
>
> I am a 3GL development programmer looking at getting into some client/server
> technology. Does Oracle involve any programming? Or is it pretty much a
> 4GL GUI builder?

You can still use your 3GL experience. Oracle has a range of products you may have seen mentioned such as Pro*C, Pro*Fortran, Pro*ADA etc. These are pre-compilers that allow the embedding of SQL in native code and convert the SQL into native code calls prior to compilation.

There's also PL/SQL which is a very strong procedural language that forms the basis for most Oracle applications.

Hope this helps, Colm. Received on Fri Oct 23 1998 - 05:46:14 CDT