Import - Convert char to varchar2 datatype?

From: James Yorton <jjy_at_typhoon.xnet.com>
Date: 1998/10/21

I am importing a set of tables (via export/import) on Oracle 8. Most tables have character fields defined using the char(n) datatype instead of varchar2(n). In this case, there is no reason to use char over varchar2.

I have redefined char(n) fields to be varchar2(n). Is there any way I can "squeeze out" the trailing white spaces on existing data? I tried exporting and then reimporting after I alter the tables to use varchar2(n), but the trailing blanks are not removed on existing data.

Is there any way to automate this conversion process? Manually selecting the data and removing trailing white space is not an option. There are too many tables and too many columns.

Thanks.

Jim Received on Wed Oct 21 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT