Help with Blob locators and OCIBind statements

From: Francois Couderc <couderc_at_nortel.ca>
Date: 1998/10/21

Hi everybody!

    I need your help! I'm trying to select a blob locator from an Oracle8 database via OCI functions.

    First, I allocate the blob locator.     Second, I prepare my query which look like:

            select lexicon into :blob1 from name list where user id :userid for update;     Third, I declare my OCIBind pointers.     Fourth, I call the OCIBindByName functions. The userid seems works but not the blob. Here's the statement: (The bindByName is only a layer over the OCIBindByName function)

            ENV->bindByName(&bnd2,":blob1", &blob1, sizeof(blob1),SQLT BLOB)

Do you see something wrong?? ":blob1" is the name, &blob1 the locator, and then the size.

Should I use 1 select by blob locator? Did somebody ever heard about a problem that was caused by a select containing 3 blob locators?

Another question is does OCI functions are known to bug when they are used with structures. What I mean is that we were using a structure containing our blob locators and I want to know if this is not recommended or if it doesn't work? I wasn't able to make it work.

Thanks for your precious help!
Have a nice day!

Francois Couderc

NORTEL Technology