Re: RAID and Oracle Databases

From: <satar_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: 1998/10/20

You're smart in placing Redo and temp on a Raid1. I am confused with the term "2 controllers". Are you telling us that there are two controllers from the server to the RAID box? Or the RAID box has two internal controllers (which means 10 disks have one controller!)? It makes sense for the RAID to have Two controllers from the server, so that if one controller fails, you still Have another redundant controller to access your data. You must take drives on seperate controllers in consideration when setting up your RAID. For example, lets say I have 8 drives with two controllers (4 drives on a controller) c1d1 c1d2 c1d3 c1d4 c2d1 c2d2 c2d3 c2d4 (where c means controller and d means disk) RAID5 would be c1d3,c1d4,c2d3,c2d4 Mount Point u01 1st RAID1 would be c1d1,c2d1 Mount point u02 2nd RAID1 would be c1d2,c2d2 Mount point u03

My temp will rest on u02 My redo logs on u03 my whatever will be on u01 This way, if I lose one internal RAID controller, my mirrored disk will still surrvive. In this example, if I loss an internal RAID controller, my RAID5 will be lost. But I'm sure your situation will be different. Anyway, Good Luck... Satar In article <362CCD69.3BB6D3CA_at_city.lakeland.net>, Vicky Hillsgrove <vhill_at_city.lakeland.net> wrote:

--
Oracle DBA/UNIX System Admin
Advanced Enterprise Solutions