Help: Sql query to get table names + descriptions

From: Sooge <sks1_at_dillinger.io.com>
Date: 19 Oct 1998 18:25:07 GMT

Greetings. I've been scanning the newsgroup and while I've seen similar posts haven't seen any answers. Apologies if I've missed something.

Here's my problem: I want to be able to make straight SQL calls (not sql plus ie "describe") to get not only the available tables, but to also get a description of the tables.

I've seen references to ALL_TABLES, and USER_TABLES, but haven't understood how to get at those, much less get a description of the table structure from them.

I'm running Oracle 7.3.3 on solaris.

           How do I get the table structure for a table (similar
            to SQLPlus "describe table_name")?

Thanks,

Sujay S.
sks1_at_io.com Received on Mon Oct 19 1998 - 13:25:07 CDT